Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Embracing traditions...

Something old.

Something new.

Something borrowed.

And.

Something blue.

Traditions are something that are passed down from generation to generation and most are founded by a persons culture and or family. On this particular day Ridley's Mom took me to his cousin's dowry celebration. I wasn't sure what to expect but all I knew was that according to tradition the groom's family presents gifts to the future wife's family in form of a dowry. These gifts include but are not limited to sweets, money, fruit and even a pigs leg. But the most interesting thing to me is that each gift has a meaning. For example sweets are often included in the dowry to symbolize a sweet marriage. Each family differs in what they give and what they accept. Because here's the thing, each family has their own customs and either accept all the dowry, or just some of it and return part of it back to the grooms family. Ridley's family believes in sharing the dowry, in other words they only keep a portion and return much of it back to the grooms family.

I love the fact that we all have our own customs and traditions. And I love the fact that I get to learn about Ridley's family and his Chinese traditions and customs.

The world would be a boring place if we all were the same.

"People without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."



No comments:

Where in the World have I been...