Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade treats...

Steamed coffee cake and curry puffs.
I grew up on a farm and all of my teenage years we lived just outside of a town with a population of about 1,100. I loved my small town, but it also meant that I didn't get to experience a lot of different foods or cultures.

So now I am embracing it all. A few years ago I had never tried curry, or rambutan, or lasksa, or nasi lemak, or rojack...or...ok you get the picture.

There is one thing that I do love and honestly hope that I can recreate when I travel back to Canada, and that's Momma Chen's homemade curry puffs. I know for a fact that I will not be able to recreate them quite like her, but I may have to recruit my sister to try, even if its just once.

Before Chinese New Years we spent part of a day making curry puffs, rolling the dough, letting the dough sit, making two different kinds of dough so the pastry was nice and fluffy, oh and the day before was spent making the potato curry filling for the inside. So, as you can see by this very brief description that making curry puffs is quite the process and quite frankly should require a team to complete. But oh they are well worth it.

Then there is the steamed nescafe layer cake. I had never tried steamed cake before but it is so moist and keeps much longer than traditionally baked cakes but also take much longer to complete. Some cakes can can take hours before they are ready.

One thing is for sure, I will be coming home with a few new recipes ...

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...