Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Live and learn...

Awe....here is a post that I had written on my iPad a few nights ago but thought it was gone into cyber space...however once I got to my computer and a reliable internet connection, voila, the lost has been found...enjoy...

It's my last night in Thailand and I've spent the day doing absolutely nothing. That's right. Nothing. I stayed in bed right before the buffet breakfast ended, after which I came back to my room, sat on the Internet, messaged a few friends and family, and watched one of the only three English channels on tv.

I hauled my butt downstairs mid-afternoon and went for a dip in the pool. And literally it was a dip. I laid by the pool for a whole 45 minutes. Those of you who know me well, know that I'm not a sit around the pool doing nothing kinda girl, so I packed up my stuff and went to the restaurant for a snack. I ordered the prawn cakes with cucumber dip, thought it sounded interesting. And it was, but it wasn't the food that was the interesting part, it was once again my communication skills with the servers or lack thereof. So when my prawn cakes arrived, which were lovely by the way, there was no cucumber dip only a sweet and sour, chili and ketchup. So I asked the server if I could have some cucumber dip. After giving me an unusual look he called to a fellow co-worker and two of them came to my table to figure out what I was asking for. Between the two of them they both nodded their heads and repeated back to me cucumber. Awe...they understand. So a few minutes later the server arrives with a plate of sliced cucumber. Sigh. I guess my wishful thinking that I had finally learned how to communicate was in fact just wishful thinking. But regardless the prawn cakes were just fine with the sweet and sour sauce with a hint of chili.

After all was said and done it reminded me of a situation in Ao Nang at a restaurant where I had pointed to iced tea on the menu, the server shook her head in agreement and saw where I was pointing to on the menu and the next thing I see is a can of diet coke sitting in front if me. And just so you know the iced tea and diet coke were no where near each other on the menu.

One of the things I have learned while travelling is that even if a server or anyone who speaks a different language than you nods their head in agreement doesn't mean they understand. Boy have I ever been naive. Live and learn has a whole new meaning to me now.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...