Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

3 more sleeps...

When my nephews were little we used to count down by the number of sleeps. Such as only 5 more sleeps till Santa comes. I'm certain that this is very common in many households. Although I don't have kids I am a wee bit excited for the adventure to begin so I have resorted to counting down in sleeps. It is much easier. However, I do remember when I was counting down weeks and months...and here we are with just 3 sleeps. Yes. 3. Sleeps. Eeekkk.

Now the panic is beginning to set in. Don't get me wrong, who wouldn't want a 365 day vacation. However, now that I only have let's see approximately 56 hours I have finally listed my vehicle, changed my address on a few things, half packed my suitcase and attempted to get my international drivers license. Not like leaving everything till the last minute. Technically I changed my address via Canada Post a few weeks back, but am just getting around to having it changed at the bank etc. And it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if their 1-800 actually worked. Instead I call and call and nothing. Not even a ring. Sigh.

I also stopped to get my international drivers license today but was horrified to find out they actually need a photo. And today was not my best day. So, I will go again tomorrow. The girl at the counter even said "you can go to the washroom and fix your hair if you want." For the record I had a hat on. But I politely declined and told her that wouldn't help and that I would return tomorrow ready for a photo shoot.

Now over the course of the next few days I am taking it all in. I am visiting a few friends, finishing my errands, finishing packing, and making sure I get lots of hugs and kisses from my favourite nephews. Yes, I will miss it all here but it's an adventure that I can't miss out on.

4 comments:

andrea said...

I am so excited for you... I am also sorry we didn't get a better visit when I was in at work (that's another thing you get with kids!). I am definitely looking forward to living vicariously this next year... safe travels. A

Shelley Rattray said...

Awe...thanks Andrea! And, I was so happy to see you and finally meet your precious sons. They are adorable and very lucky to have you as their Mom. I'm going to try my best to blog a lot more often once I get there...so stay tuned!

Jodi said...

Shelley, you are on your way! Congratulations on getting this far. There is no much to do before a big trip. Now just sit back and relax for a few days. Rejoice that you got to this point that so many people dream of but never take the chance. I can't wait to read about your adventures. I'm definitely headed to India & Nepal this January so will send you a note on email when I get organized.

Shelley Rattray said...

Sounds great Jodi! And I am just trying to adjust to the time difference, sigh. I don't remember it being this bad last time I came for a visit. But at least I have lots of time to adjust!

Where in the World have I been...