Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting settled...

Most of you are probably wondering what I am doing to pass the time. Well...since I've only been here a few days it is safe to say that I haven't done a lot besides drink coffee in the morning, play cards at night, and drive around town with Ridley's Mom who I'll refer to as Momma Chen. But, hey I am just trying to get settled, used to the time difference, and climate change.

Awe. Life. Is. Good.

The other night we played Gin Rummy. I used to play tile rummy with my grandma years ago. We used to also play Kings in the Corner for money. Of course it was money from her penny stash and it was only four coins each. We never played for big money or our own for that matter. However, the other night we were ruthless. I of course was just learning so the first few rounds were 'free' however after that it was no holds bar. Ok, well maybe it wasn't that ruthless, but we still lost $10 Ringgits! That's about $3 CDN or what it would cost for two bowls of breakfast noodles at one of the many cafes in Miri.

Evening entertainment...Gin Rummy.


The day after our ruthless card game, Momma Chen and I went looking for a dresser since I am currently living out of my suitcases. We were lucky enough to find a nice white dresser for only $400 plus Ringgits or about $130 CDN and this morning I spent some time figuring out where to put said dresser.  So, when dresser got delivered Momma Chen and I were so proud that it fit perfectly into the spot we thought it should go. However, I knew our pride would be short lived when after the furniture movers left and we began to inspect the $130 dresser. It was then that we discovered one of the drawers wouldn't open and close properly. So, we sat and attempted to fix the prized dresser. We thought it best to try and fix it as good as we could before anyone else figured out our steal of a deal wasn't the best steal of a deal. More like the furniture store owners were probably jumping with joy when they saw us two eyeing up the pretty white dresser. Well, as it turned out the nice furniture people returned and fixed our ailing drawer. Phew. And now we have a pretty white dresser complete with three large drawers and two locked cabinets. But really, how nice was if of them to return, not once but twice to ensure the dresser was fixed and to our liking...all for $130 CDN.

Yes.

A. Steal. Of. A. Deal.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...