Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

How to plan for a 1 year vacation...

In 20 days I will be travelling across the globe to Malaysia. Yes. 20. Days. For 1 year. Yes. 1. Year.

Over the last few days I have had several people ask me what I have done to get ready to hit the road for a year. To tell you the truth it has been easier than I initially thought. At first I felt overwhelmed and wasn't sure where to begin. But, thankfully I had so much support from family and friends that the planning didn't seem too complicated. However, if you ask them they may tell you different, and therefore I will not divulge any names of individuals who helped me get organized. They may or may not tell you that there were many times I had moments of sheer panic. There could have been times in which I was consumed and overwhelmed with my 'to do' lists. There also may or may not have been times in which I wasn't sure whether I would ever check everything off my 'to do' list.

Okay. So getting back to the preparation phase. First thing was first and I received a leave of absence from work. Check. One thing I didn't have to worry about and was overjoyed with the fact that I will be able to travel the world and return to a great job. Then it was investigating immigration. Check. Since I wasn't going to be working and travelling to various locations immigration wasn't as worrisome as if I were going to be relocating due to employment. This part was easy. Have passport. Will travel. Check. Then there was the renting out of my house. Advertise house. Screen tenants. Which I could probably write a novel on. Note to potential renters...don't stand at the front door and continue to talk about your past employment, past relationships, financial difficulties or pets that you didn't mention during the initial application. Note to potential landlords...always continue to visit with potential tenants before they leave the rental unit you will also uncover something of interest. Sigh.

Okay. And back to getting ready. Two months before I depart I had my place rented out, which was a relief. I have put all my belongings into storage. Purchased medical insurance, storage insurance, continued my long term and short term disability insurance...I think I could become or should become a broker after all the insurance I have purchased.

And now, the last 'to do' items on my list is sell vehicle and pack suitcase. Now, this may make me go crazy. Packing a suitcase for one year will be a challenge. I am the Queen of indecisiveness when it comes to clothing. How does a girl truly know what she will want to wear every day. But, I have to remember that I can always go shopping...but then again on what budget...

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...