Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rambutan...

Ok, so I know I have been posting a lot about food. But we eat. A lot. And let's be honest there are a lot of different and unique food here compared to back home in Alberta, Canada. For instance another exotic fruit that is grown in Malaysia as well as the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Indonesia is the Rambutan. Well, actually we can even find it in the backyard.

The name rambutan is derived from the Indonesian word meaning "hairy". And. Yes. This fruit is hairy. But once you open up the rambutan and peel off the outer layer the fruit is slightly grape-like and is often sweet and sour. To be honest, this is probably one of my favourite fruit here so far.

Picking rambutan



 

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Ah ha! That's what those are. I saw them one day in Save-On Foods but for the life of me couldn't figure out what they were or what to do with them. Thanks Shelley!

Where in the World have I been...