Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Feels a lot like Christmas...

I arrived in Kota Kinabalu and was greeted by Ruben, who drove Ridley and I around last time we made the trek to the city in Sabah. We chatted about the weather and the upcoming busy tourist season in KK as he drove me to Horizon Hotel. It was reassuring to know someone who is familiar with the city and can tell me where...and well where not to go. As we drove by one particular street Ruben clearly pointed out that it wouldn't be an area that I would want to travel down, alone, at night. After that, I knew I was in good hands. 

We pulled up to the hotel and was greeted by the door staff who helped me with my luggage. As I checked into the hotel I noticed the decor which reminded me of a home. A big horse lamp. Yes, that's right, a life size horse with a lamp shade on top of it's head. Now I wish I took a picture. 

I made my way to my room and of course was having some second thoughts about coming to a place I had only been once, alone. Sounds silly since Ridley had just dropped me off only two hours ago but already I was feeling a wee bit lonely for home. However, once I got settled in a bit I received a text message from Ruben. He wanted to let me know there was a Christmas market right outside my hotel! So brushing off the loneliness I grabbed my purse, camera and off I went to the market. As I walked up the street to see people everywhere and what looked to be like a Christmas concert that had just ended. Rats. But then I looked to my left and all I could see was a large nativity scene with blowing snow. Yes, that's right. Snow. I couldn't help but smile and stand underneath the falling snowflakes with all the other giggling kids. I felt like it was meant for me. Have you ever experienced that? Where you end up somewhere and you aren't sure why but one small thing happens and you realize that you are exactly where you are meant to be at that exact moment in time. That is how I felt. I wasn't in the Christmas spirit this year because I missed the snow. Well, the snow and a lot more, but I couldn't get into the spirit without seeing some snow. Today I got my wish.

Click here to watch: Snow in KK

The nativity scene with falling snow.


And of course what Christmas market would it be without durian, the
king of fruits.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...