Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Life in Rome, continued...

I have four days left. It hit me today that I have been here since November 19 and time has flown by. Seriously. Flown. By.

Aside from eating a lot of pasta, and I mean a lot perhaps almost everyday, to cappuccinos and pizza I have done a lot of touring throughout Rome but also Florence. We recently spent a few days in the capital of Tuscany checking out the sites and it was just as amazing as Rome. But, this time we were able to take in the international Christmas market where it appeared that Germany and Austria are now on top of my travel list. I forgot about all the food including pastries and European sausage that are abundantly available. And well, lets be honest sauerkraut is something no one should live without.

Within Florence we walked along the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge which has always been host to shops and merchants. At one time merchants were butchers and green grocers until the late 1700's when shops were ordered closed to make way for gold and silversmiths. Even today the bridge is lined with gold and silversmiths.

After the trek along the Ponte Vecchio bridge, my Momma and I made our way to the Campanile di Giotto (Giotto's Bell Tower). The view at the top of the Bell Tower is amazing, or so I have been told. For six Euros you can climb the 414 steps to the top. Well, anyone who knows me well, knows that I am terrified of heights. I. Mean. Terrified. For example, I went to Paris when I was 17-years-old and of course we went to the Eiffel Tower. It is a once in a life time experience to go to the top, but oh no I clung to the side of the railings, only half way up. Yes, that's right, I only made it half way up the Eiffel Tower. So, fast forward 15 years and well, I hate to admit it but once again my fear of heights took over. We made it to the second last pit stop to the top and I couldn't look out the window. So, my Mom being ever so kind captured me standing in the middle of the Bell Tower for memories. At least she caught me smiling.

Me hanging on for dear life inside the Bell Tower.
View near the Ponte Vecchio bridge.

The famous Ponte Vecchio bridge.

Anyone want some salami, a market in Florence.

A view of the dome next
to the Bell Tower.

A view from the second last viewpoint in the Bell Tower.

2 comments:

Margaret-Anne said...

Hey Shelley. I didn't know you liked saurkraut. I make the best soup out of that stuff and it's one of Ed's favorites. Will have to give you the recipe someday, when you're back to being domestic again. You should check out Barcelona in Spain for a trip. Gaudí's architecture is amazing fairytale architecture! And then of course Picasso's gallery of paintings,done during his formative years. So many places to see, it's hard to decide, but just find your wings and fly! marg

Shelley Rattray said...

Marg...I would love to go to Spain...it's now on my list! You must send me that recipe it sounds delicious. Who wouldn't like saurkraut soup!

Where in the World have I been...