Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Life in Rome, week one...

It's been just over a week since I arrived in Rome, Italy, and, what a week. It started off a bit slow due to a cold and a lot of disappointment on my part since I couldn't taste the amazing food or smell the air. I know this is a wee bit weird but I am going to say it...I like to smell. Yes, I assume we all like to have each and every one of our five senses, or sixth for some of us, but, part of travelling, as someone once put it to me, is to enjoy all the experiences of a new place including the tastes, sights and smells. Everywhere you go is distinct and unique, including the smell of the air. 

We have packed in a lot during the week. A lot. Including but not limited to visiting the Roman Forum, The Coliseum, Piazza Navona, Capitol, Pantheon, Fountain of Trevi, Arches of Constantine, The Piazza di Spagna, The Piazza del Popolo, the bridge over the Tiber and Castel Saint' Angelo, St. Peters Basilica...sigh and the list goes on. Included in these tour is of course what we see along the way. We have done a lot of walking and I think we have taken two taxi's the entire time I've been here. One from the train to the apartment when I arrived and one to St. Peters Basilica because we may or may not have left in time to get to the Vatican museum on time.

Now that I have one week left it feels like time will fly by. We are going to head to Florence this week and maybe a few places around Rome so I can see beyond the walls of the Capital city. I can't wait and I want to soak it all in.

Uhm...did I mention I love pizza, and there are pizzeria's everywhere.

I also love the little cheese and meat markets, but
hate it when they are closed.
Amazing sky at the Forum. 
A beautiful view of the Forum.
Mailing a few postcards to some  friends.

Italian antipastine.  
Michelangelo sculpture in St. Peters Basilica which he
created when he was 23 years old.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

OK, thanks to your pics Italy has moved to the top 5 of my must see places. Looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing this part of your journey. Can't wait to see where you go next.

Shelley Rattray said...

Yes, Jodi, if you enjoy history and amazing architecture Italy is a must. And the food is also amazing!!!

Where in the World have I been...