Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembrance Day...

Even though I am thousands of miles from home, I still remember. I will always remember.

My grandfathers, great uncles and aunties, so many family and friends have been part of the reason I am free. Free to travel the world. 

November 11th, a day to remember. But, everyday I am thankful. I am thankful for bring able to walk out of my house and not have to worry about being harmed. I am thankful that I am able to make my own choices in life as simple or as complicated as they may be. 

So many times we tend to forget what those soldiers went through for our freedom. In reality I truly believe the reason we forget is because we never went through it ourselves. Let's be honest. If I was placed in the middle of war for one day, one hour, one minute, I would never forget. I would never forget the trauma that I would endure during that short amount of time. But, for those who did sacrifice their lives, who still are sacrificing their lives, they will never forget. And, although I have never been through what they have, I don't want to forget about them. I may not know what they have gone through or are going through, I will never forget what they have done and what they do everyday.

I am truly thankful and will always remember them, especially my two favourite grandpas.

By John McCrae, May 1915
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...