Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The simple things...

So the last couple of days I have learned a few things about me, about life in Malaysia and about the simple things.

I've called Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia home for about 10 days. Not a long time, but I have big plans. I still don't know how to drive but have become a bit braver. I drove home from town last week. Well, from the edge of town really. So basically I was on the main road. No stop lights. No turns. Just straight, well maybe a few curves, but nonetheless I drove. And on the wrong side or should I say the right side of the road. I was proud. Now I just need to brave the in-town streets. That will be another feat. You see, the driving is different here than in Canada. One example is people, from what I can tell, park in what they call parking lanes. Really, a parking lane. Just envision a street with side parking, then next to it there are cars parked in a traffic lane. I have learned that these cars are only parked momentarily, and everyone just drives around them. Really, I just don't get it. And there are a lot of bikes, and they aren't just for singles either. One day I actually saw a family of four on a two-wheeler. Yes, papa and momma and two wee ones, and by wee ones I am talking about a toddler and a little baby. This made me realize that I am lucky. To see a mother holding her baby with her toddler sitting in between her and her husband while they drive around town, well it just made me realize how fortunate some of us really are. Someone said that maybe I should just get a bike. Uhm, yeah, no. They are aggressive drivers here or I guess for them it's just normal. For me I think I would be frustrating for the locals. See I would be what we could call at home an old bitty driver, or maybe that's just what I call them. Yes, you know the ones with white hair and can barely see over the steering wheel, ok in simple terms, a grandma driver. Yes. That would be me. Except I can see over the steering wheel and I don't have white hair. Well, maybe one day I will brave the streets and live to tell about it.

Recently, I also ventured to the post office. Yes. By myself. Ok, well I was dropped off and picked up so I didn't actually get there by myself but I went in by myself, that counts for something. And purchased stamps. I told the nice teller, "Can I buy some stamps for postcards to send to Canada." She asked me"You want postcards." I said, "No, just stamps." "How many do you want," she said. "How much," I responded. "50 cents." I bought six. That's $3 Ringgit or about $1 Canadian dollar. To send six postcards to lucky recipients back home. Cheap. Cheap.

I also received an email in response to an inquiry to volunteer for a children's organization in Malaysia. I was so proud I finally found an organization on-line so I quickly emailed them to ask about any volunteer positions. This was the response I received:
"We would have loved to have you help us with some work. Unfortunately our projects in East Malaysia focusses on detention issues. As such, access to such facilities are limited to our colleagues who have been given special permission from the government. We do not have a base in East Malaysia. We only travel to East Malaysia from the West as and when our Relapse Prevention workshops for young offenders and detention officer's training are being held."

Oh dear. What did I try and sign myself up for. Note to self: always thoroughly read through all information prior to signing up for anything, volunteering included. So, I am not going to look into volunteering for a non-profit animal welfare group. And, instead of bringing home 10 needy children, I'll be trying to export 10 dogs and cats. Sigh.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...