Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Love birds...

On the weekend I went to my first Asian wedding in Malaysia between Helen and Volker. Yes, Helen and Volker. It was Ridley's auntie and her husband from Germany, so this Asian wedding was complete with an eastern European flare. Well not a lot of European flare to be honest mostly just due to the groom. 

The wedding favours, salt and pepper shakers!

And what I experienced during my first Asian wedding was food, food and more food., ok I need to clarify it was actually an Asian wedding reception I didn't go to the ceremony, The banquet hall was decorated with balloons and flowers as well as a traditional sign with the names of the bride and groom. A slideshow of photographs played for all the guests to watch while waiting for the wedding parties entrance. To be honest, it was similar to wedding receptions in Canada, minus the drunk guest who dances on the tables and then passes out in the corner...ok...that doesn't happen at all weddings but can happen.

So we ate, we talked, we listened to the emcee talk about the bride and groom, we listened to each of their respective children give their welcome speeches and we listened to Helen and Volker thank everyone for coming and being part of their special day. I think that was my favourite part of the night. Even though I had only meet Helen a few times and never met her children or Volker, or his children for that matter, the speeches were the best. The. Best.  They were touching and humourous and from the heart. 

It made me realize that love truly speaks all languages, love doesn't discriminate between cultures or races and that we all need to cherish it when we find it. Someone once said to me that you don't choose love, that love chooses you.

Ridley and I at my first Asian wedding.

No comments:

Where in the World have I been...